Currently, we can see that the number of people who bet on natural and organic products is increasing. With toothpastes is no exception, since there are many who think that the dentifrices that we find in any supermarket sin because they have too many chemical and very unnatural ingredients. See how to make homemade toothpaste with some natural and healthy ingredients for our teeth that will help you maintain a good oral cleaning and fight bacterial plaque.
You will need to:
- 10 tablespoons of sage and thyme infusion
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda
- 4 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 4 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 7 tablespoons white clay
- 1 glass jar or container
Steps to follow:
1. The ingredients that we are going to use to make homemade toothpaste can be easily found in any herbalist’s shop. Next, we will explain the properties and benefits of each of them for our health:
- The sodium bicarbonateis a white solid compound used as a mouthwash for its antibacterial and able to clean the oral tartar properties.
- The sageis a Mediterranean plant that stands out for its antiseptic properties thus preventing possible inflammation in the gums.
- The thyme,like sage, also has antiseptic properties and is used to prevent and act against halitosis.
- The mintis a plant with soothing properties and also has a refreshing taste.
- The tea treeis a medicinal plant with antiseptic properties and is widely used to treat both mouth ulcers and thrush.
- The sea saltis a natural compound with anti – inflammatory properties, making it ideal to soothe sore mouth.
Once we have all the ingredients, we can start making our natural toothpaste.
2. The first thing we have to do is make an infusion with the sage and thyme separately. To do this, we will take approximately 3 tablespoons of each ingredient and mix it with 1 cup of water in a saucepan. We will boil the mixture for 5-10 minutes and let it stand until it is completely cold. In the end we must obtain on the one hand the infusion of thyme and on the other that of sage.
3. The next thing we will do is mix the infusion of thyme with that of sage in a deep dish or bowl and we will stir the mixture with the help of a spoon. Then we will take a large kitchen bowl and put 10 tablespoons of the infusion mixture of thyme and sage and continue stirring.
Next, we will add 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt and 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda to the bowl and stir the mixture very well with the spoon.
4. Once we have removed the mixture in the bowl, add 4 drops of peppermint oil and another 4 drops of tea tree and continue beating the mixture with the spoon.
Next, we will put in the mixture about 7 tablespoons of white clay. It is important that you gradually pour each tablespoon and that in each of them you stir the mixture to eliminate possible lumps.
5. The mixture will be ready when it has enough consistency to go around the bowl and does not tip over. If this is your case, the homemade toothpaste will be ready to use. Finally, we add the natural toothpaste in a glass jar to use it on other occasions.
- It is important to use a toothbrush with soft bristles and change it every 3 or 4 months.
- Do not put a lot of toothpaste on the brush since it is very likely that you ingest it due to the large amount of foam that will be produced.
- Brush your teeth approximately 3 minutes with vertical and smooth movements so as not to bleed your gums.
- Rinse well both your mouth and your toothbrush so as not to leave possible bacteria.