Do you want your teeth to look whiter and return to their normal tone? If you also want to achieve it with natural products and thus avoid the use of commercial products with chemicals that can end up damaging your teeth, then we recommend that you use coconut oil.
This natural product is very popular among those who want to improve their health naturally, as well as those who seek to use plant and healthy products for aesthetic purposes. Of course, it is best to make sure that the oil we buy is organic and has not been very processed. Discover how to whiten your teeth with coconut oil, what properties it has that benefit you and several recipes to use it.
Properties of coconut oil for teeth
In the composition of coconut oil we find mostly saturated fats such as lauric and myristic acids, monostaurated fats such as oleic acid and polyunsaturated fats such as linoleic acid. Also, we can highlight the vitamins E and K that this vegetable oil has.
Thus, thanks to its composition, this natural product for the care of our mouth gives us mainly antibacterial properties. This great capacity of this product is beneficial to clarify the tone of the teeth because the accumulation of bacteria causes our teeth to gradually darken, stains are made until the appearance of unwanted caries. In addition, it has been shown that this product from this tropical fruit is very effective against the bacteria Streptococcus mutans one of the bacteria that cause more problems in our mouth and, above all, decay.
It also has a great healing power so it helps us strengthen the gums and regenerate damaged areas in the mouth easily and naturally.
Mouthwash with coconut oil
To make the most of the antibacterial power of this organic oil, the best way is to use it as a mouthwash. The use of vegetable oils as mouthwashes is called oil pulling in English, since it is about “pushing” this product all over the mouth so that it reaches all corners of it.
One of the most used oils to treat the mouth is precisely that of coconut, since it has been shown to help prevent tooth decay very effectively and recover the natural tone of the teeth. So, if you want to use a natural mouthwash, pay attention to the following lines in which we tell you how to do this treatment:
- First you must brush your teeth and tongue to eliminate food debris.
- Then, heat the can of organic coconut oil in the microwave a little so that it becomes softer or even liquid.
- When it is warm, before it becomes solid again, take a little with a large spoon. It is advisable to use half a tablespoon.
- Take the indicated amount of this product in your mouth and start moving it throughout the oral cavity, just like when you use a commercial mouthwash.
- You must endure for 5 to 15 minutes by passing the oil from one side of your mouth to the other and making sure that it reaches all corners. It is advisable that you start for 5 minutes in a row and that, with the passage of days and practice, increase the time until you can endure 15 minutes.
- When you finish spit and wait, at least, a couple of minutes before rinsing your mouth with water to remove the oil if you see it necessary.
- This product is suitable for consumption and, in fact, is commonly used in cooking in various parts of the world. Therefore, do not worry if you swallow a little during this oral hygiene process.
Coconut oil and bicarbonate to remove stains on teeth
If we want to enhance the effect of this product derived from coconut to lighten teeth, since this actually manages to return the natural tone and not bleach in a potent way like some chemicals, a good way to achieve this is by using sodium bicarbonate. This is known for its many properties and benefits and, therefore, is widely used both to improve aspects of health and beauty.
Baking soda helps eliminate bad breath, eliminates bacteria and whiten teeth, so mixing these two ingredients will make your oral hygiene much more complete. Follow these simple steps to achieve this natural toothpaste:
- 30 grams or 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 45 grams or 3 spoonful’s of baking soda
Preparation and treatment
- In a bowl mix the two ingredients in the indicated proportions and stir well, with the help of a fork or spoon, until it is a smooth and uniform texture.
- You can put it in a glass jar and you must store it in the fridge and take it out a few minutes before using it.
- The way of use is like that of a commercial toothpaste. You have to put a little on the toothbrush and make sure that you brush all corners of the oral cavity well, including the tongue.
- In this way, you will end the unwanted bacteria and your teeth will gradually look whiter and healthier.
- You will notice a good feeling of cleanliness and a pleasant aroma in the mouth.
- You can use this paste 2 times a day, at least until you notice that you have achieved the white tone you were looking for.
Coconut oil, turmeric and white clay for teeth whitening
Another perfect recipe to treat the mouth and whiten our smile is the one that includes turmeric and white clay along with this organic oil. Thanks to a component called curcumin, this spice contains antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Similarly, white clay or kaolin has antiseptic, regenerative, astringent and anti-inflammatory abilities.
All these effects added to those of organic coconut oil means that we can kill bacteria, deflate and strengthen the gums and eliminate stains on teeth by whitening them, achieving a healthy mouth naturally. Follow these simple instructions to achieve a toothpaste with these ingredients:
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. turmeric
- 1 tablespoon white clay
- 5 drops of peppermint oil to improve flavor (optional)
Preparation and treatment
- Mix in a bowl the three main ingredients in the amounts indicated and stir until you get a gel or paste texture, depending on whether you add more or less oil.
- It is recommended that you prepare the amount you will use in a few days, as it is advisable to store this mixture for a maximum of 15 days in the refrigerator.
- When you go to wash your mouth simply use this mixture instead of the usual commercial toothpaste. Brush your teeth carefully but without leaving any space and, when finished, rinse with plenty of water.
- You can use this natural paste 1 to 2 times a day and from the first use you will notice a slight improvement and, little by little, your smile will look whiter and healthier.
More home remedies for teeth whitening
There are many natural remedies for a whiter smile without damaging our teeth. So, in addition to the use of this organic oil and all the ingredients mentioned in these recipes, to help you recover the natural white of your teeth, we advise you to use other remedies such as apple cider vinegar, sage, banana peel or the lemon, the latter always without exceeding.